|Nanzenji in Kyoto|
|Kyoto Station at night|
Our itinerary was as follows by day:
- Arrive in Narita and take the Narita Express into Tokyo in the late afternoon. Have to transfer to a metro train to get to hotel (not a problem on a Saturday) and enjoy Shinjuku in the evening.
- Full day in Harajuku and Omotesando (we skipped Shibuya this trip). Visited the Kawaii Monster Cafe and experienced very large crowds in Harajuku and Omotesando on a Sunday.
- Early morning departure from hotel in Shinjuku to take metro to Tokyo Station (on metro by 7 AM to beat rush hour) and catch the Shinkansen to Kyoto. Spend the afternoon exploring Fushimi Inari Shrine and Sanjusangendo Shrine and Yasaka Shrine near our hotel in Gion.
- Visit the Kyoto Rail Museum, Yodobashi Camera near Kyoto Station and have lunch there at the train station. Then visit Nishiki Market which is an intense shopping experience for food ingredients (spices, herbs, rice, fish, veggies, miso, etc.), and a continuous snacking experience.
- Visit Arashimaya Bamboo Groves, Tenryuji Temple, Adashino-Nembutsuji Temple,
Otagi Nenbutsuji Temple, Ryoanji Temple, and Kinkakuji (Golden Pavillion).
- Visit Nanzenji Temple, Yasaka Shrine during the day, Pontocho, Gion, and Kiyomizudera Temple.
- Mid-morning departure back to Tokyo, and take metro to hotel across the street from the Tokyo Skytree. Spend time at Solomachi Mall (excellent mall at the base of the Tokyo Skytree), Asakusa Temple, and Ueno. Basing out of the Skytree means relatively easy access to Ginza, Tokyo Station, Akihabara, Ueno, Asakusa (so easy), but it is a long trip to Shinjuku, Ikebukuro, and Shibuya.
- Full day at Akihabara to see all the otaku sights, then the Tokyo-Edo Museum, and back to the Solomachi Mall and hotel. Skipped Ginza and Tokyo Station sights.
- Check out of the hotel and have them hold our luggage. Ascend the Tokyo Skytree just after 8 AM before the crowds hit and hang around the Solomachi Mall shopping the amazing traditional crafts and Japanese souvenir stores on the 4th floor. Grab luggage for a noon departure to Narita on the Sky Access Express from Oshiage Station (across the street from our hotel).
|Yasaka Pagoda in Gion|
|Kiyomizudera Temple with Kyoto in the background|
|Tokyo Skytree and Solomachi Mall|
|Tasty ramen. Anything in Japan seems to be better than anything at home.|
|Display for "Is The Order A Rabbit?"|
Tokyo and Kyoto Trip Fall 2016
- Whirlwind Tour Through Tokyo and Kyoto
- Kyoto Trip Highlights - Amazing Sights
- Pokemon Go As You Travel In Tokyo And Kyoto
- Eating Well While Travelling In Japan - Part 1 (without breaking the bank)
- Eating Well While Travelling In Japan - Part 2 - Kyoto Dining (Ekiben, Bullet Trains, Fushimi Inari Food Stalls)
- Eating Well While Travelling In Japan - Part 3 - Kyoto Dining (Nishiki Market Grazing)
- Eating Well While Travelling In Japan - Part 4 - Kyoto Dining (Kyoto Style Sushi, Arashimaya, and Kinkakuji
- Eating Well While Travelling In Japan - Part 5 - Kyoto Dining (Gion, Ootoya, Kiyomizudera, Kyoto Station Ramen)
- Eating Well While Travelling In Japan - Part 6 - Tokyo Finale (kaiten sushi, takoyaki, and curry)