Tasting Marutai Nagasaki Agodashi Shoyu Ramen and Oita Chicken Shoyu Ramen

This post continues my tasting adventure for instant ramen with the regional flavours of Kyushu.  I purchased a big gift box / sampler pack of Kyushu ramen made by Murutai awhile back and have been eating them when I have a chance.  There were seven varieties to start and I have reviewed four so far as of this review.
Front of the big Marutai Kyushu box showing all 7 ramen inside.
 Nagasaki Agodashi Shoyu Ramen
Nagasaki prefecture is well known for agodashi, a broth made from dried flying fish.  When I first looked at this ramen package I thought it was basically a typical shoyu variety.  After I found out about the agodashi I was definitely expecting a deeper flavour profile.
The front of the Nagasaki Agodashi Soy Ramen package.  It shows a nice looking ramen soup with sesame seeds and lots of toppings. The nice deep blue sure goes with the seafood broth theme!
Back of the package.
The package contains two servings of straight stick ramen noodles, two soup base powder satchets, and two oil/fat seasoning packets.
There was a nice soy aroma from this soup and it was a fairly dark broth.  The powdered soup based contains grilled flying fish, pork, chicken, sardines, kelp, scallops, bonito, seaweed, sesame seeds, and tuna.  After tasting the broth, it definitely had a deeper flavour profile than a typical soy broth.  There was depth to it that was kind of complex, a little fishy, but full of umami.  I didn't mind it at all, but my fellow diner thought it was too fishy.  In Japan, this ramen has been rated fairly highly for the flavour which is definitely there.
The finished soup with typical ramen noodles, an egg, some beans, and luncheon meat. Was pretty nice!

Oita Chicken Shoyu Ramen with Yuzu
Oita has mild weather that allows yuzu fruit grow well in the area, so it is famous for this type of Japanese lemon-like citrus fruit.  This chicken bone soy sauce soup has chicken broth, konbu and bonito as elements to it.
The front of the Oita Chicken Soy Ramen package.  Show a simple ramen with a dash of yuzu peel powder on the soup.  The light green colour of the package suggests a brightly flavoured soup.
The back of the ramen package.
The package contains two servings of straight noodles, two packets of Yuzu powder (with citrus fruit pictures), and two packets of powdered soup base.
This turned out to be a fairly mild shoyu soup in flavour.  I'm not sure I got the chicken taste out of it, but it was a nice light soup.  The yuzu peel powder gave the soup just a hint of citrus, but there wasn't a lot of the yuzu powder to go around.  This ramen soup was pleasant enough, but not one of my favourites out of the box.
Added some green onion, a fried egg, and some roasted turkey to it to make a meal.


Amazon e-book available.

Follow me on Twitter a @Tostzilla or my feedburner for this blog.
More cup noodle / instant ramen reviews and Japanese pop culture.


Comments

Popular Posts