Yamadai New Touch Amazing Noodles Summer Fukubako Western Japan Ramen Box

Finding these instant noodle bowls was a real surprise for me.  I was wandering through the old Asian supermarket after playing Pokemon Go in the mall on a  blustery day.  There were two varieties of the fukubako or lucky box available in the forms of an East Japan and a West Japan editions.  I chose to pick up the West Edition which had more of my savoury favourites.  The translation on the boxes said these were New Taste Sugomen boxes, and I only figured out later that sugo was actually sugoi as in amazing and men as in noodle, so it was amazing noodle.  There were six different types of noodle bowl in a box, for a full dozen different kinds of ramen in the two editions.

Stack of Yamadai New Taste Instant Noodle Boxes

Yamadai is an instant noodle company that has been around for decades but I can't say I've tried many of their products.  New Touch is the brand that has these "Amazing Noodles" that are air dried, not fried, and they specialize in regional types of Japanese Ramen.  I think they have around twenty types and these East and West Japan boxes showcased a dozen different types of ramen.  Needless to say I was very happy to find these and will be reviewing all of them in the future. 

These boxes were also labelled as fukubako or lucky boxes.  The only luck remaining with these was the gift cloth that was included. There is usually some type of random contents or prize in a fukubako so each box was supposed to have a book of lottery tickets inside, but I think they were probably taken out or removed for export as you cannot apply for the draws outside of Japan anyways.  I'm just happy to have the noodles and to know which ones I got!

A large picture of the front of the Summer Fukubako Western Japan Ramen Box.  Nothing like summer fireworks and a lucky cat in front of a plentiful pile of gold coins and bales of rice!

My cat found the box quite intriguing.

Angled view of the box from the top.  It is quite a pretty box and they even say it is suitable for gifting!  There is a convenient fold out handle on the top too.

Here are the six bowls I got and the cloth towel that was included as a gift.  No lottery tickets though.

The ramen bowl assortment had:

  1. Toyama Black
  2. Kyoto back fat soy sauce flavor
  3. Nara Tenri Stamina Ramen
  4. Ehime Yawatahama Champon
  5. Onomichi Chinese Soba
  6. Aged (Mature) Hakata Tonkotsu

I'm looking forward to trying these bowls out.  They look yummy. 
The links above take you to my reviews of each bowl!

My cat really liked the box, it did not come with a lucky grey cat!

Follow me on Twitter or Instagram at @Tostzilla or my feedburner
More snacks, ramen and Japanese pop culture.


Comments