Today, I'm going to put down some links to some accessible sources of high-quality information for the traveler to Japan about anime, Akihabara, manga, and Japanese pop culture. Hopefully, the treasure hunt becomes a little easier.
Web Information About Japanese Pop Culture
- Discover Japan www.gov-online.go.jp/pdf/hlj_img/vol_0018et/04-17.pdf
- Creative Japan www.uk.emb-japan.go.jp/en/creativejapan/creativejapan_pdf.pdf
- Gross National Cool http://www.japansociety.org/resources/content/2/0/5/4/documents/gross%20national%20cool.pdf
- Manga in America at Wired Magazine www.wired.com/images/pdf/Wired_1511_mangaamerica.pdf
- Two Fabulous Anime Maps By JNTO for Japan http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/animemap/index.html
- Convenience Stores: Can't Live Without Them!?
- Wikipedia (make your own book by topic there - also excellent place to get the Japanese characters for something you are looking for to do a search anywhere else).
- Google Maps - Streetview. See where you are supposed to go before you go there. Made my life infinitely easier.
- A pretty good little guide to Tokyo Districts with maps and pics at japan-guide.com.
Cut and paste the text into your browser for the Japanese characters if you have to.
- The Otaku Encyclopedia: An Insider's Guide to the Subculture of Cool Japan [Paperback]
Patrick W. Galbraith
- TOKYO The Greatest Travel Tips 英語で歩く東京 [単行本]. Must order this on Amazon.co.jp
- 旅の指さし会話帳〈21〉JAPAN (ここ以外のどこかへ!) [ペーパーバック] This is a point and look Japanese phrasebook with lots of images. Must order this on Amazon.co.jp