Nissin Instant Curry Meshi (Rice Meals)

Nissin in Japan makes more than instant ramen.  They also have frozen fresh ramen and they also make instant curry meals (curry meshi).  These were introduced a few years back and I just had to try them as I I like their instant ramen so how could I pass up on trying their curry rice.  They have a pile of different flavours and I ordered a couple of types then ate them when I needed a snack in between meals.  https://www.nissin.com/jp/products/brands/currymeshi/  In terms of calorie counts the cup noodle curry rice is similar to the cup noodle curry flavour (about 350 calories), with the second curry below having about 150 extra calories.

Nissin Instant Cup Noodle Curry Meshi
I wanted to try this one first as I really like their Curry Cup Noodle (see my post on it) and wanted to see if this curry flavour was similar to the one I was familiar with.  Unlike regular cup noodles where you just add boiling water and wait 3 minutes, these curried rice meals are prepared with cold water and a microwave.  It isn't quite as convenient as adding boiling water, but I think the dehydrated rice needs more heat to rehydrate it properly.  Nuking times depend on the power of your microwave and I think I had to cook mine for 4 to 5 minutes if my memory serves me right.  The rice was firm, and some bits were a little chewy, but not too bad for instant.  The curry flavour was exactly what I expected in a mild curry and very tasty.  I would definitely have these again if I had the opportunity. 
These come in boxes with a plastic liner on the inside and a nifty carboard box sleeve on the outside.  Just like their cup noodles, the packaging is innovative and not just a styrofoam container which cannot be microwaved anyways .
The directions.
You peel back a corner to add cold water.  You can see there are bits of dehydrated meat, potato, green onions, and curry powder on top of the rice.
Water has been added to the internal fill line.  Close the lid again so it doesn't spray everywhere when you microwave it.
After nuking you get a well mixed curry.  Stir some more and add in an oil pack to complete the texture.  The oil pack was taped to the top of the lid.


Nissin Instant Beef Curry Meshi
This is more of a rich beef curry flavour and was quite different from the cup noodle curry meshi that I had above.  I like both, but this is more of a regular spicy curry and there are even spicier editions available.  If I order more of these, I would probably order this for curry rice and leave the other curry flavour as a curry ramen which I also do really like.
Nissin Instant Beef Flavoured Curry Rice
Directions again.
Very attractive packaging and I like the yellow rice kernal logo.
You can see the potatos and other ingredients inside.  Again you add water to the internal fill line and then nuke it.
It was quite a bit messier after microwaving then the other cup noodle, but you can see the curry sauce.  Mix to make a nice thick curry.  Very satisfying and filling.

More Ramen and Pop Culture Posts


Comments

Popular Posts