Japanese Candy and Snacks Fall 2018

Over the course of the fall and early winter I found all kinds of tasty Japanese candy and snacks in local Asian supermarkets.  I'm not a huge fan of just any sweets which is why I generally avoid the Japan candy crates and boxes that have proliferated in the last few years.  This is the same for ramen, where I would rather order what I know I like or am interested in.  So, here is a selection of the treats I've had in the last little while.
An assortment I found in a Calgary supermarket.
This is a pretty tasty little green tea milk candy.  It is soft and chewy!  Fujiya knows how to make milk candy.
Mainly a ramune flavoured hard candy, but with some variations on the base flavour.  I like how the bag is kind of ramune bottle in shape.
Fried rice crackers and tapioca crackers.  Yummy, but the bag went really quick.
A couple of varieties of green tea chocolate in each box.  Smooth and matcha tasting.  There are also many kinds of green tea too so there is plenty of different flavour potentials.
Baumkuchen!  This is a German spit cake that is very popular in Japan and it is good.  I couldn't believe there were bags of fresh cake available.  You just have to eat it within a few days once the outer package is opened.
Mochi with different fillings.  These are from Taiwan, but still good.
Saw these tasty Japanese ice creams in the local market, but they were like $5 for a little cup.
Green tea ice cream.
Dorayaki! Tasty Japanese pancakes with a filling.  I bought the one in the middle with good old red bean.  Again, it is pretty cool to find fresh-ish baking.
I really like these cookies from Japan.  There are six flavours in this box and they are thin, crispy and delicious.
Another view of the individual packages of cookies.
Green tea cookies and some soft biscuits with fruit filling.  Both were good, but the green tea cookies were a bit on the too sweet for me end.

Japanese Snacks I Would Stock Up On Next Time I'm In Tokyo

Amazon e-book available.

More Japanese pop culture posts.

Follow me on Twitter a @Tostzilla or my feedburner for this blog.


Comments

Popular Posts