Tasty Bite Vegetable Tikka Masala Review

Years ago I started trying out the Tasty Bite brand of microwavable Indian curries.  This brand is an export product from India and they're actually pretty good.  They are all vegetarian and every flavour that I have tried is tasty.  As for authenticity, I've only ever had Indian food in Indian restaurants over here in Canada and they taste as authentic as what you are served here.  These curries range from mild to spicy and have sauces like Bombay Potato, Chana Masala with chickpeas, and more.  I have them poured over some leftover white rice or the packages of ready rice that you nuke in 60 to 90 seconds for a quick lunch.  I've also noticed that at the high school near me that some of the kids have these for lunch as they have access to microwaves in their cafeteria.

Vegetable Tikka Masala, one of my favourites as it has a nice variety of vegetables.

All the Tasty Bite curries come in a bright, cheery yellow package with orange highlights.  There is photo of a nice looking sauce on rice at the right hand side.  They all nuke in 60 seconds and come in plastic pouches that usually have a best before date that is a year out from manufacture.  I usually keep a half-dozen pouches around along with some pouches of ready to eat Japanese curry sauce too.  Often, I'll mix in a little roasted chicken to add in some more protein and make it more filling.

Some prepackaged rice in the bowl with some warmed up roasted chicken pieces and a bag of the vegetable tikka masala.

The Vegetable Tikka Masala is one of my favourite of these curries.  When I was researching for this post I didn't realize that chicken tikka masala was a popular Indian dish in Great Britain and it is a relatively new dish that has mixed claims for its origins.  The dish is around half a century old, and its origins have been attributed to the Punjab area (1971) and some British Indian Restaurants.  All I can say is that its tasty and it is a great food invention that has many recipes for it.  Pureed tomato, cream, and coriander are common ingredient for this creamy sauce built on a masala spice base.  It has a nice orangish brown colour that is appealing to the eye that is not garishly bright.

It looks way tastier after you have mixed the sauce and the rice together along with the chicken!

The sauce always has a nice aromatic aroma of various Indian spices and you can see nice chunks of potato, niblets of corn, pieces of carrot and peas.  This makes for a nice lunch that warms you up and fill the tummy without being too spicy.  I guess the funniest thing about this is that I never realized that adding chicken to it (obviously not chicken tikka in my home) was something that was already really popular until after I had been doing it for awhile!  These curry sauces are handy to have around along with your leftover white rice or prepackaged rice for a quick meal.

Closeup of the sauce with rice.


 

Follow me on Twitter a @Tostzilla or my feedburner
More snacks, ramen and Japanese pop culture.


Comments