Fall 2021 Asian Treats Haul and Canadian Food Limited Editions

It's been awhile since I posted about some of the Asian / Japanese treats I've managed to scrounge up.  I didn't order much from Japan this year as some of the regular places I buy from had issues and the shipping delays due to COVID didn't help either. There have been a bunch of great new products in Japan I would have like to try, but it'll have to wait until I can visit, hopefully in 2022.

Still, I managed to find some good items at a few of the local stores here in Edmonton and Calgary so I do have some items to post about.   

Some tasty Kameda rice crackers and peanut mix (#1 in Japan), with Ding Dong mixed nuts and fried peas, and some tasty CRATZ pretzels. 

Snack sizes in Japan tend to be on the smaller side per gram and that is a good and a bad thing.  It is good from a portion control perspective, but bad on price.  I don't mind too much as we all probably eat too much anyways.

I found variety of Ace Cook cup noodles at another store and picked up one of a number of flavours.  Way better than some of the older Ace Cook ones I've had for export years ago.

Three varieties of Meiji chocolate ranging from milk to dark.  Japanese chocolates are pretty awesome for something you buy on the shelf at any convenience store versus the higher prices we have to pay here for better chocolate.

Bourbon Petit crackers and cookies that are Demon Slayer tie-ins.  I'm looking forward to snacking on these.  I have chocolate cookies, strawberry cream cookies, and rice crackers! All tasty.

These are great chewy candies that come in tiny little shapes.  Do wish you get a little more in each bag and they are pretty good.  There is ramune/lemon on the left and a cool make your own shaved ice flavour on the right by mixing the different shapes to make new flavours.

These are peanut candies that are a tie-in to an interesting picture book about a boy having imaginary adventures that change with different magical candies.

Nissin RAOH noodles, Tonkotsu/Shoyu flavour.  These have been pretty hard to find lately due to import issues I'm guessing for some of the Asian food distributors.  I loaded up on extra when I saw them.  These are air dried noodles, not fried.

This is salted egg noodles with a strange one from China for Liuzhou River Snail flavour in the middle.  I didn't like these all that much, but I will post a short review sometime.

Moving away from Asia for a bit, these potato chips are from France.  I've had some really good potato chips from there before.  These ones had a fairly good flavour, with the bacon being really good, and the beefsteak flavour being okay.  The flavour is enhanced as the beef one contains beef extract, and the bacon had bacon in it!

Lots of limited edition cereals this summer.  Canadian Captain Crunch.

The Galactic Lucky Charms.  The're Galactically Delicious!

Monster Mash with Count Chocula, Frankenberry, Booberry?  The little marshmallows in these things are always soooo good.

And Kraft Dinner, Cheetos flavours.  I'm not much into KD, but I'm sure there were many very excited fans.

Expensive fruit for gifts!  These are like $8 per apple pear.

When COVID restrictions really lifted for awhile, I went out to Menjiro, a ramen place, here in Edmonton to try them out.

They had a nice wall mural, manga style!

I had a tan tan style tonkotsu ramen and it was really tasty.  Not too spicy and it was just so good to eat restaurant ramen that was well made!  It will visit them again when it is safer.

 Finally, a box arrived from Japan.  I ordered this from Japan Haul as they were one of the only places that had the Chicken Karaage Cup Noodles.  It took 2.3 months to arrive by ship as there was no air mail option (which other shops were offering).  I never pay for courier shipping as it costs too much.
My small noodle haul.

I ordered a variety of noodles with the Nissin Karaage Cup Noodle and Pringles Karaage flavour.

That it pretty much wraps things up for now and happy snacking to everyone.


Follow me on Twitter at @Tostzilla or my feedburner.
More snacks, ramen and Japanese pop culture.


 

Comments