My First Trip To Tokyo Japan in 2009, Webcomic, and Old Travel Packing List

The First Trip to Tokyo

My first trip to Japan was booked during the summer of 2009 with the H1N1 flu pandemic running amok.  Airports in Japan were screening your body temperature with thermal cameras when you arrived at the airport.  I figured correctly that most of the pandemic would run its course by late October and I was fortunately correct.  That summer I booked a flight and hotel package for 8 days / 7 nights for 900 Canadian dollars.  That was a crazy price as no one was flying or vacationing.  This was still pretty much the height of the anime boom and before tourism just exploded in Japan.  

I remember the trip as one of the best times of my life, despite traveling on my own.  I tried really good ramen, conveyor belt sushi, ate Japanese Curry for the first time, experienced awesome Japanese konbini, and wandered around Tokyo half-lost at times as I didn't have a smartphone or GPS yet. That trip had me visit the Tokyo Tower, Mori Tower viewing deck/Mori Museum, Ghibli Museum, Kiddyland, Gashapon Hall, Yokohama Ramen Museum, Harajuku, Asaskusa, Ginza, Shibuya Crossing, the one and only Pokemon Center at the time, Akihabara with Gamers and Animate of course, and I walked my feet off.  Riding the subway and the Yamanote Line was fantastic too and I love the train network there.  It was a dream trip.  I think I had a smile on the my face a mile wide the whole time.

All the Japanese souvenirs from my 2009 trip laid out.

I stayed at a business hotel across the street from Shinagawa Station and there was a Ramen street just outside the station, 7-11 at the base of the hotel, and a McDonalds for breakfast.  I didn't know that Japanese bakeries were fantastic yet and I was still learning about Japan, but you get wiser as you get older.  I went with a big empty suitcase and came back with it full.  I remember going through customs and the guy asked me about my suitcase as it was pretty empty with the bare minimum of clothes.  He was amused as I said I was going to fill it with cool Japanese souvenirs.  I did fill that suitcase with Japanese Kit Kats, Cup Noodles, plushies, art books, toys, stationary, hand crafts, t-shirts, and more.  At the time many of these things were incredibly rare in Canada, but times have changed since then.

This was and still is a unique souvenir from 2009.  A Gundam Cup Noodle anime tie-in that even had a model kit attached to it for the RX-78-1 Gundam.

Anyhow, I even made a webcomic about the trip, and I've included it below here after showing you the travel packing list I used to use.  Many things haven't changed, but it is crazy how many items I don't pack any more.

The 2009 Packing List Time Capsule

FOR FOREIGN TRAVEL

  1. passport
  2. home currency
  3. traveller's cheques
  4. foreign currency
  5. address book for letters
  6. phrase book
  7. map of area
  8. guidebook
  9. airline tickets
  10. confirm flight 24-48 hrs before
  11. get travel wallet/empty out wallet except for essentials
  12. travel visas are okay (not needed between Japan & Canada at the time)
  13. all vaccinations done


FOR WEEKEND WEAR

  1. 2 t-shirts
  2. 2 changes underwear
  3. 2 changes socks
  4. 1 pair jeans
  5. 1 towel
  6. 1 shorts/swimming trunks


PERSONAL ITEMS

  1. TOOTHBRUSH
  2. toothpaste
  3. shampoo
  4. soap
  5. comb
  6. RAZOR
  7. WALLET
  8. pocket knife / leatherman (can't carry these outside your luggage in Japan)
  9. compass / gps
  10. matches or lighter
  11. house keys / car keys optional unless you are driving.
  12. ebook (first generation Kindle) and charger
  13. mini-flashlight
  14. notebook / pen
  15. camera
  16. wristwatch with alarm
  17. Cellphone / charger (I didn't bring my old non-smart cellphone - used payphones there)

OPTIONS

  1. gameboy or psp
  2. ipod / mp3 player
  3. paper book or magazine
  4. guidebook to Tokyo

PRE-CHECK FOR LEAVING HOUSE

  1. bills are paid
  2. plants / pets taken care of
  3. curtains slightly ajar
  4. stove is off
  5. garbage is out
  6. fridge is empty of perishables
  7. windows are closed
  8. doors are locked
  9. lights/appliances are off
  10. water to washer off
  11. mail is in
  12. someone knows where you are

More than 10 items can be knocked off the PERSONAL and OPTIONS lists by having a smartphone. I wrote an article over at Medium about How Travel Has Changed in My Lifetime about this.  I had the minimum extra sets of clothes for the trip, and even planned on wearing souvenir t-shirts for a day or two.

The 2009 Tokyo Trip Webcomic

Many of the highlights of my trip were illustrated by me into a number of comic panels.  I hope you enjoy it!  Much has changed in Tokyo over the past decade, but most of the highlights in the webcomic are still there today and just as important to experience.
















Follow me on Twitter a @Tostzilla or my feedburner
More snacks and Japanese pop culture

More Travelogues


Comments