POT Noodle Original Curry Cup From the UK Review

I have never tried a POT Noodle before and found these in the local supermarket in the imported foods section for the United Kingdom. While I've heard of POT Noodle I didn't know what to expect as I have never read any reviews or anything like that.  There was a chicken and a curry flavour and I opted to be adventurous and try the curry.  Non-Asian instant noodles are usually not foods I want to try as I've had enough mediocre experiences with them in terms of flavour or the noodles themselves.  I'll still try some on occasion, and many folks in the UK like a good curry, so it has that going for it!

POT Noodles come in a slender cup made of plastic with a foil lid. The side of the cup has their brand in nice big outlined printing that shows the brand clearly and the flavour of the noodles is shown underneath.  The golden curry is represented by a bright golden yellow tones and makes it quite appealing with a relatively simple design.  Noodles in curry are shown above the POT along with the silhouette of an elephant with a pot of curry on its back.  There's probably room for a joke here, but I'll leave it at that.  The packaging is practical and well laid out in design.

The lid of the curry.  Lots of gold.

Nice information about the curry, some good slogans, and environmental messaging.

You can recognize the brand on the shelf by looking at the front of the cup.

Nutritional information, cooking directions. and eating directions!

Canadian nutritional label from importing.

I like how they have more slogans on the inside of the lid.  You can see a whole lot of curry powder and dried peas.  There was also a packet of mango sauce to add in.

You can see a few of the short fat noodles here and lots of soup base powder.

There was a mild curry aroma when the cup was opened.  This aroma carried through to the rehydrated soup after adding boiling water.  There was  ton of soup base powder in the cup and you couldn't see the noodles under it.  This set the expectation for something that would be very flavourful!  There were some dried peas and carrots. 

After adding the boiling water, you let it sit for two minutes after closing the lid again.  Then you add in the packet of mango paste to it while stirring the soup well to make sure everything is mixed as you don't want any clumping.  Let it sit for another couple of minutes and the noodles are ready.

This was a different kind of instant curry noodle from what I've had before.  There is a smaller portion of noodles and they are the thickest flat noodles I have encountered to date.  The strands are short, but it makes for easier eating too.  The noodles had a good chew to them with a wheaty flavour.  I would actually let these noodles sit a little longer to ensure they hydrate completely due to the thickness of the noodles. Definitely mix well to get the noodles at the top to the bottom.

I filled the water to the upper line and the soup turned into more of  thick soup or thin sauce as the noodles suck up a lot of water.  The curry flavour of the noodles was pleasant with a hint more tartness than I would prefer, but the fruitiness of the mango paste helps to balance that out.  This wasn't too spicy  and it was a nice change of pace and a different kind of noodle cup! 

The finished noodles.

 

Follow me on Twitter or Instagram at @Tostzilla or my feedburner
More snacks, ramen and Japanese pop culture.

 

 

Comments

  1. you should try bombay bad boy from the same company

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds exciting. I'll check it out if I run across it.

      Delete

Post a Comment