Hokusai Museum and the Skytree Town Pokemon Center

It was a fine Sunday morning.  I managed to get up plenty early for a long day of touring.  Today, it would be a visit to the Hokusai Museum, the Solomachi Mall Pokemon Center at the Skytree, then Akihabara afterwards.
After getting ready for the day I wandered down to the McDonalds near Shimbashi Station.  The restaurant is on a corner in a narrow space, but all the dining spaces are on the next couple of floors above ground.  I ordered my favourite which is a sausage egg McMuffin and hashbrowns.  They always make it really fresh and perfectly done.  From my window seat, I had a great view of the Yamanote Line tracks and all the trains rumbling by.
McDonalds finally made a big turn around this year.  They had closed underperforming stores, focused on quality, paid and treated their workers better, and made a comeback after the bad chicken scandal three years ago.
I always have this once every trip to Tokyo.  Always seems to be done right and better than at home most of the time.
Kurios advertisement.  Great show that I caught back home.
Walking the streets to the Hokusai Museum.  Basically started from the Tokyo Edo Museum as it was the closest stop by train.
Love these daikon radishes.  They are so good in stews.
This was a grocery store right under the train tracks.  They use all the space in Tokyo.
Walking along the train track.
The Hokusai Museum.
The Hokusai Museum is pretty new, only opening two years ago.  It has many of Hokusai's works on display and a great little gallery and timeline of his work.  If you are a Hokusai fan you will want to visit.  If you are not, or only kind of into his work, it is a museum you could pass on.  I wanted to see it anyways and enjoyed the overview of this works.  I didn't realize that he was also like the father of manga and made many art books to train other artists.  There is also a cool life-size diorama of the artist working there (he wasn't known for neatness).  If you haven't seen the movie Miss Hokusai, then you should try to have a watch as it is a pretty cool flick.
The 36 Views of Mt. Fuji.
The Great Wave off Kanagawa
Mt. Fuji
View of the Skytree from the Museum.
After the museum, I went walking over to another train line east of the museum for about a kilometre.  It isn't far to the Skytree, but I still would take a train to save wear on the feet and time.
Lots of drink vending machines.
Closeup of some drinks.
The morning was really nice.  I was picking up all sorts of food souvenirs as I went as there were all these supermarkets and who wants to make a special shopping trip again if it is just there.

My previous post about this morning and views of the Skytree.

Skytree!
The Skytree is really a great looking tower.
There is a robot exhibit at the Solomachi Mall that also has a giant Macross Valkyrie.
The Solomachi Mall is a great place to shop and to eat.  I visit this mall every time I come to Tokyo and have stayed at a hotel in the area.  Many conveniences and easy access to eastern Tokyo from here.  During my last trip here, a new Pokemon Center had opened up.
Pokemon Center Skytree Town.  It has a giant Rayquaza on display.
Pikachu rides the Ray!  And it is big.
Pikachu Stuffies exclusive to the Skytree.
Solageo
Loads of merchandise here.
This is like a half scale gashapon machine that is Pokemon themed.  It was to big to carry so I didn't pick one up.  As usual, these are limited edition and you'll have to luck out to find one.
Stuffies!  Bought a Lapras.
Pokemon Cup Noodles.  They have little naruto discs inside with pokemon faces.
Soon enough it was lunch time and I needed a break.  So MOS Burger it was.
Had a tasty teriyaki burger and fries.
That was all for the morning.  I even managed a quick trip back to the hotel to drop all the loot off before continuing onto Akihabara, see the posts below.

Comments

Popular Posts