Aged Anime - A New Series of Posts

Aged Anime.  The concept for this series of posts came about because I was thinking back about what I have seen over the last two decades of anime watching.  Since 2003, I started watching anime more regularly.  I actually have the complete set of NewType USA from when anime was having its first massive boom and a big glossy magazine version of NewType Japan was published here.  Twenty years ago the tropes and ecosystem behind anime was new, exotic, and fascinating.  It is a little less fascinating now, as I know so much more now, but it is still a pile of fun - the most important ingredient.

Yeah.  It's crazy that before streaming, the magazines used to give away DVDs with free anime sample episodes.

The other day on Twitter (you can follow me there if you like @tostzilla) there were people who basically said that if you talked about the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES), which was the original breakout gaming console, you were like an old man talking about World War II (WII).  People went what? Really? This is because this year (2021), the NES is 38 years old, and the NES came out 38 years after the end of WWII.  Time sure FLIES!!!!  And yes, I'm older than the NES myself.  This means that if I write about my early anime experiences or even as much time progresses, I'm like an old dude talking about the NES they played as a teen or the old veteran of WWII telling war stories back when the NES was new.

Anime archive, next to Mulder and Sculley's office.

So bearing the above in mind, there are many stories and anecdotes I'd like to share about anime and collecting.  My perspective is going to have the long view of decades applied, but that can be a good thing.  I'm going to be writing about anime shows and related collectibles that I think have survived the test of time.  Hopefully, people will find some of it interesting, but I'll be doing it partly to review and think about the great things that current anime is built on.  There will still be current coverage, but this will be a long running series!  

Time flies by!

What is current now will be aged anime in twenty years.  Don't blink, the time will be up before you realize!

  1. Full Metal Panic! Aged Anime 2002 - Mecha Action
  2. Shuraki Trinity. Aged Anime 2007 - 2008. 
  3. Cardcaptor Sakura. Aged Anime 1998 - 2000.
  4. Neon Genesis Evangelion. Aged Anime 1995- 1996.  
  5. Inuyasha / Yashahima. Aged Anime 2000 - 2004, 2009 -2010, and 2020+
  6. Range Murata, Last Exile, Shangri-La, and PSE Pro #01 Skipper and Scooter
  7. Tsukimi Burgers in Japan for the Fall Moon Viewing Season and Moon Rabbit Meena Anime
  8. Evangelion, RahXephon, Argento Soma, and Fafner - Aged Anime
  9. Futakoi Alternative. Aged Anime 2005 - Lots of Twins and Craziness 


Other Anime Related Articles
Other Japanese Pop Culture Articles

Comments

Popular Posts