Anime Figures From My 2022 Japan Trip

I visited more than a few toy / anime stores during my December 2022 Japan trip.  While I saw plenty of merchandise I would love to have, some of it was hard to find, some of it was sold out, and some was just plain expensive.  I did pick up a few figures / toys when I was there though.  Below are some of my acquisitions.

These are Rement, blind box, trading figures.  It is the Bonsai2 series of Pokemon mini-dioramas based around the concept of a potted Bonsai tree/plant.   I thought it incorporated Pokemon into a traditional Japanese presentation very nicely.

You can buy an entire box - about $50 (so it isn't cheap), but then you are guaranteed to get the entire set if the box has never been opened.  You can check the seals on the box to see if it has been opened or not.

Here's what one of the assembled figures looks like next to the boxes.  There is usually some assembly required (no glue needed).  There were six possible figures.  I'll probably do post on the set later.

When buying toys or figures in Japan you will notice that the prices can be quite expensive.  Sometimes you can find second hand versions cheaper (especially for claw machine figures from UFO catchers).  Places like AMIAMI, Liberty 7, etc.  Sometimes, the second hand figures come in boxes that have never been opened!  Buying the small blind box figures can be a more affordable option if you like figures as $50 is cheap for a box of figures with a common theme of a show or game.

Aegis posable mini-figure from Persona 3.  This was the first Persona game I played on the PS2 and she's my favourite android!  Nothing like a minigun extension to blast some monsters.

Back of the Desktop Army box.

ROBOT Side MS, The Robot Spirits, mini-Gundam figures.  These are small, posable Gundams that come with various accessories.  They are tiny though, kind of like 1/10 scale human figure or sub 1/144 model size.  The detail is really good on them though.  This one is a RX-78F00 exclusive to Yokohama Gundam Factory.

Back of the RX-78F00 box.

I have another mini-Gundam of a GP02, of the same scale, to show you how big the figures are compared to the box.

I would have bought a couple of Nendoroid figures too while I was there, but these were only pre-order at the time.  Chisato and Takina were from the hit show Lycoris Recoil that aired in 2022.  These figures are $50 each and small and portable if you are going to bring figures back.

Chibi Takina Inoue.

Chibi Chisato Nishikigi.

Gundam, Witch From Mercury, was a fantastic Gundam series from 2022 to 2023.  I wanted to get this HG 1/144 Gundam Aerial model kit, but it was sold out everywhere!  I ended up ordering this online after my trip.

Components of the Aerial model kit.
I also found a SH Figuarts figure of Nozomi Tojo from the original Love Live! series.  This show is pretty old by anime standards now - kind of like the original Precure Black and White. The merchandise for them is available used, but is hard to find as there is not much of it.  Sometimes, online is the way to go when searching!

Nozomi Tojo figure.  My favourite Love Live! character.

Back of the Nozomi box.

Finally, here is one of the small Pokemon plushies I picked up over there.  Moo Moo Milk anyone?

That's pretty much it for a good chunk of the merchandise.  I also picked up some acryllic standups and coasters along with a few other things like art books.  Books are one of the things that you might want to get there if you can find it.  Amazon.co.jp is also a good source that I don't use as I really dislike shipping things by courier.  You always get dinged on duty and brokerage fees plus the expensive shipping.

Related posts on some other 2022/2023 figure purchases

Anime Figures From My 2022 Japan Trip
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Jujutsu Kaisen, and Sakuna of Rice and Ruin Second Hand Figures
Japanese Figure Haul - Fall 2023. Lycoris Recoil, Laid Back Camp, and Evangelion Anime Concept

Follow me on Twitter or Instagram at @Tostzilla or my feedburner

More snacks, ramen and Japanese pop culture.



Comments