Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Jujutsu Kaisen, and Sakuna of Rice and Ruin Second Hand Figures

I picked these figures up second hand from AmiAmi and had them shipped by slow boat from Japan to keep the costs down.  It took AmiAmi about three weeks to ship it as I ordered it alongside their Christmas rush, but it arrived in seven weeks from Japan by ship then truck from Vancouver?  So pretty good on the transit time, but lousy on the order preparation time.

I bought this Nobaru Kugisaki figure (1000 yen) to go with an earlier Yuji Itadori figure I have.  I really liked the battle with these two against the cursed womb brothers at the end of season 1.
I was in Japan in December and shopped a bit in Akihabara for anime related goods.  Everything is so pricey now.  I checked out the second hand and consignment sales at the Akiba Culture Zone along with AmiAmi and Liberty and wasn't all that impressed.  AmiAmi actually has some of the better pricing and I only ended up buying the Nobara Kugisaki figure above from Liberty.  I don't usually buy a lot of figures as they are hard to transport home in my luggage.  There were actually tons of tourists on the street in Akiba, but I had no idea what they were doing other than being an obstacle on the street.

The Tanjiro Kamado figure from AmiAmi (1480 Yen) and his sister Nezuko Kamado (980 Yen).

Sakuna from Sakuna of Rice and Ruin (2400 Yen).  This is a Popup Parade figure.  Pretty nice quality from Good Smile and it'll go good with my Inuyasha and Yashahime figures.

I paid about $100 Canadian for the three including $40 for surface shipping which is brutal.  I don't plan on buy much these days as prices are insane now.  Some of the nicer figures I own now would be well in the $200 to $300 price range with today's prices.  Otaku must be getting wealthier, but I'm not.  I kind of think this is actually an indicator of an industry in decline as they take advantage of the hardcore collectors more and more (hunting whales).  This leaves behind the vast majority of customers.  On the other hand, even the more reasonably prices figures that used to be in the $10 to $30 price range are now at least in the $30 to $60 price range too.  Things that are really cheap are small gashapon type figures in the $8 to $15 price range, and 2D acrylic standup figures which are kind of sad compared to a real 3D painted figure.  These acrylic standups can be mass produced without any hand fitting so they really should be cheap, but they are are in the $10+ range.

These days, if you have a reputable source, do check out the second hand figures.  Often these are from packages that haven't even been opened and the boxes might even be damaged, but the contents are pristine.

Related posts on some other 2022/2023 figure purchases

Anime Figures From My 2022 Japan Trip
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Jujutsu Kaisen, and Sakuna of Rice and Ruin Second Hand Figures
Japanese Figure Haul - Fall 2023. Lycoris Recoil, Laid Back Camp, and Evangelion Anime Concept

Follow me on Twitter or Instagram at @Tostzilla or my feedburner

More snacks, ramen and Japanese pop culture.

 

Comments

Popular Posts