I tried the You Ni Yi Mian Sesame Paste With Plant-Based Meat Sauce Dry Noodles not too long ago and I like this brand! China has some really interesting noodle kits. This particular kit wasn't cheap as I think I paid $4 Canadian for it at the supermarket, but you do get more for your money. This is not an instant noodle and there is a bit of prep to do and you'll need a pot and stove.
 |
| The package is a two tone tan colour with a sunburst like background behind the prominently displayed plate of noodles. The noodles are nicely curled around and coated in sauce with a nice sprinkle of ground meat and peppercorns in the middle. There is a fried egg on the side that is not in the package. |
It is one chili pepper out of 5 for spiciness and the noodles take 6 minutes of cooking in boiling water to prepare. The noodles are hand made according to the package and they are dried for 8 hours. The unevenness of the edges of the noodles lends credence to this! This brand of noodle has won some type of superior taste award in 2022, 2023, and 2024 for dried noodles.
 |
| Back of the package with preparation instructions, ingredients, and nutritional info. |
 |
| You get lots of little packages of sauce and ingredients inside the bag along with a noodle block. There is a big packet of dried green onion, two sauce packages along with a packet of the mince pork made out of soy protein in its own sauce. There's a fair bit here. |
 |
| You're supposed to add all of these sauce ingredients to the noodles last, but I put everything into a bowl first to see everything at once. You can see there is more than enough to coat the noodles. |
 |
| The drained noodles after boiling. The sauce mixed into them very nicely and gave a light coating to all of the noodles and you can see how the ground meat substitute distributed nicely. |
The noodles have a wavy edge and nice chew but are not too chewy. They are thin and their broadness holds the sesame sauce well, coating the noodles evenly. Bits of soy protein really simulated ground meat well in texture and they have a good seasoned umami flavour that combined well with the sauce. The sauce was sesame flavoured with a low Szechuan chili kick to it from the numbing spice. I didn’t find it overly spicy at all and I don’t like heavy spice myself. This was a very tasty noodle and I'd buy it again. The simulated ground meat really did taste and feel like eating ground meat too!
 |
| Closeup of the noodles. |
Comments
Post a Comment