Godzilla 1991 Deluxe PVC Figure from DIAMOND SELECT TOYS Godzilla Gallery

I picked up this big big BIG figure of Godzilla from Amazon awhile back to celebrate being still employed and if I can't visit Japan right now, lets bring a bit of it to me here.  I have a number of Godzilla figures from oddball places, and a number of small dioramas from Japan that I picked up years ago.  The coolest thing about Godzilla is that his form changes from movie to movie.  He started out looking quite mean, then became friendlier looking in the middle as a sort of ally of humanity, then became meaner and meaner looking again.

This particular 1991 Godzilla figure is from Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah which is the 18th film in the Godzilla franchise.  I think it is one of the better looking Godzillas with a mean look in his eye and a powerful, but not overly bulky body shape.  This figure is from Diamond Select and there is supposed to be a Gidorah counterpart to this figure that will be released.

The description for the figure comes from Amazon below:

  • From the deep, a new line of Godzilla PVC Dioramas rises
  • Features exacting sculptural and paint detail
  • Features Godzilla in his 1991 appearance from Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah
  • Measures approximately 10" tall
  • Connects with King Ghidorah to form a larger diorama  


The figure has a pretty nice sculpt with some good detailing.  Some of the other people reviewing this figure indicated that the detailing on the dorsal spines wasn't the same at the pre-release art and they are plainer, but I don't mind too much.  There are some seams that are visible on the shoulder, but again it is fairly minor overall.  I like the size of this figure a lot and am quite happy with it.

Another view of this figure showing Godzilla bursting up out of the water onto the shore.  Note poor little naval vessel being tossed about on the right.  There is a big boardwalk / pier in the foreground.  These elements give Godzilla some scale, but it is a fairly abstract presentation.

One of my tiny Japanese dioramas of the original Godzilla in comparison to this one.  The smaller figure is actually more detailed in some ways, but the big figure fills a whole shelf of an IKEA display cabinet, so it looks pretty impressive.

Closeup of the little figure with the bigger figure towering in the background.  I'll probably do a future post about the little dioramas eventually.
 

The box it came in was pretty big and pretty banged up.  I'm glad I don't keep the boxes when I display a figure.  However, it was very well packed inside and Godzilla came through without a scratch.

The back of the figure box.


 
Follow me on Twitter a @Tostzilla or my feedburner.
More toys and Japanese pop culture.

 

 


Comments