Nextool Micro Sailor S0 Scissors Review and Comparison of EDC Scissors

In this post, I'll look at the Micro Sailor S0 and do a quick comparison with some other EDC mini-scissors. The S0 is the most expensive out of all of the scissors, rivalling the Victorinox Classic.

The Micro Sailor S0

When I first saw the NexTool S0 (S Zero) scissors, I knew I wanted to get a couple of them. I was looking for a keychain multi-tool scissors that did not have a knife blade. 
Why? There are three reasons:
1. Carry-on friendly for planes.
2. Pocketable or in a tiny EDC pouch.
3. Will be allowed in environments with no knives.

It is always good to have a few tools on hand, and scissors can do much of the work of a bladed tool in urban environments. If there are worries about confiscation when going through airport security (the S0 passes in many countries - but not Japan, for example), you should probably just not bring anything, or just small, blunt, inexpensive scissors.

Front of the box. This could be a nice small gift.

The Micro Sailor S0 is a scissors-based multi-tool, and multi-tools are typically more expensive than the other scissors options I'm going to look at. But the S0 has lots of features in a small package, works well, and is really cool.

Back of the box, showing all of the tools. You get 8 tools in total, including the keyring.

It's nice that is comes with a faux leather pouch. You could put this on a keychain and not scratch it up.

The S0 when folded up. It is incredibly thin, like a pair of tiny folding scissors in width, and lightweight. The finish is well done on it.

S0 when open. It is spring-loaded with one blade having serrations to cut through tougher materials.

S0 with tools out. There is a micro screwdriver, a bigger screwdriver, a bottle cap lifter, a small nail file, a Phillips screwdriver, and a pretty good pair of tweezers.

The tweezers only open this far, but you are supposed to hold the tweezers between your thumb and finger and use the body of the tool to steady them. It works well. The screwdrivers all the way.

The Phillips fully deployed.

I really my S0 for its size and really good scissors. You can't use any of the other tools on it for anything heavy-duty, but for use with personal electronics, nail care, and light tasks, it works great. I actually carry a tiny Victorinox Rambler with equally awesome scissors on my keychain, but this tool is my backup for situations with no blades permitted.

The mini-scissor EDC Comparison

I took a look at 4 other types of commonly available EDC mini-scissors, basically what I had in the house. I won't compare them to the scissors on the Victorinox classic, as those work great too, but there is a knife on it, unless you get the Jetsetter model.

Daiso top left, then going down Coghlan's, S0, Fiskar's folder, and Fiskars's school scissor.
The school scissors are the biggest ones.

The scissors all opened up for comparison. The Daiso has the longest cutting edge, followed by the school scissors, which are a hair over two inches from the pivot.

All of these scissors do the expected things to paper and thin cardstock and would work to cut off price tags, tags from clothing, open up plastic film, and other minor cutting tasks. It is what I would expect from a tiny pair of scissors. These are not shears, they are just handy tools to have around.  

Scissor Name Paper Cutting Paracord Cutting Notes
Micro Sailor S0 Great Great Smooth cuts, serrations really help.
Most expensive.
Fiskars FC0516
school scissors
Great Great These look like they're for
kids, but they work well.
Cheap.
Fiskars folding scissors
(orange handle)
Great Great Very light and compact, but
I wonder how the folding handles
hold up over time.
Cheap, but more costly. 
DAISO folding
spring-loaded scissors
Great Not well, binds. Does longer cuts like the school
scissors. Wouldn't really use these myself.
Dirt cheap.
Coghlan's folding
pocket scissors (silver)
Great Okay, multiple
cuts.
These are classics. It works pretty
well, but I've had good and poor
ones, so quality varies.
Cheap.

The scissors-only tools work pretty well, and they are all cheap and common. This means they are a good low-cost option that shouldn't be overlooked depending on your use case. 

Some Other Gear Posts

 

Follow me on Twitter a @Tostzilla or my feedburner.
More snacks, ramen and Japanese pop culture.





Comments

Wonderstruck in Tokyo

Wonderstruck in Tokyo
Cozy and Adventurous Stories

Read my urban / portal fantasy novel set in modern Japan.