An Animated Book Trailer For My Novel Kumotawa Confluence

I released my novel Kumotawa Confluence, an urban fantasy, with moderate success last year. I had a short trailer for it on release, but I felt I could do better. In the last year, the capabilities of various tools have improved quite a bit, and I've been able to vastly improve the art and provide actual animation now.

Kumotawa Confluence follows Yuriko, a former special‑forces operator turned convenience‑store manager, who becomes entangled in a rising supernatural crisis on Mount Kumotawa. When a mysterious cat leads her into the fog‑shrouded slopes, she uncovers a hidden realm of yokai, ancient legends, and a looming threat tied to a malevolent god. Joined by fellow veterans, a steadfast policeman, the Sword Princess, and a determined group of high‑school girls known as the Gun Girls Auxiliary, Yuriko must confront sinister forces as the veil between worlds weakens. The story blends Japanese mythology, modern action, and escalating danger as these unlikely heroes fight to prevent a world‑ending disaster.

Yuriko and Ghost are on a trail, encountering a creature in the fog.

Originally, I had a really nice piece of cover art for the novel and various sketches and mockups of characters and the konbini that features in the novel. From this original art, I was able to generate the following animated trailer. Have a look for yourself. It is pretty incredible, captures the vibe of what I wanted to portray in the novel, and I could do it myself. The new animated trailer is shown below.


Parts of this trailer were based on my created artwork and the original cover image. My original konbini mockup is shown below, and the new version of the konbini is shown under it in beautiful detail. You can see all of these elements in the trailer above. I even had character models for Yuriko in her store uniform and in her battle dress uniform.

Original cover art.

Original konbini mockup.

New konbini art based on the mockup.

Prior to the animated trailer, my third trailer, I also made a long second trailer, shown below. It's a pretty good trailer, but it lacks the impact of the latest version. This second trailer shows more information, but it just isn't as eye-catching.


Finally, when I first launched the book, the trailer below was what I had. Both of the other versions are so much better! It looks positively plain compared to the other two.


Ebook and paperback available on Amazon, all regions. The ebook can be previewed.




Comments

Wonderstruck in Tokyo

Wonderstruck in Tokyo
Cozy and Adventurous Stories

Read my urban / portal fantasy novel set in modern Japan.